Saturday, February 12, 2011

Valentines Cookies! :)

I wanted to post this to hopefully inspire some of you...

This afternoon I am going to make Valentines cookies! I personally think my Sugar Cookie recipe is the bomb. Here it is!

Sugar Cookies1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 c butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda

Mix powdered sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and almond extract. Add flour and baking soda. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Roll each half to 3/16 in thick on lightly floured board. Cut into shapes. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375* until the edges are light brown, 7-8 min.

Royal Icing
4 Tablespoons Meringue Powder (I use Wilton Brand)
4 cups powdered sugar
6 Tablespoons warm water


Beat all ingredients until stiff peaks form.
*Make sure all bowls and utensils are totally grease-free or your icing will never reach proper consistency.
Spoon some of the thick white icing into individual bowls and add coloring

For each color of icing, you will want a piping bag of thick icing and one in the same color of thinned icing. Once you color a bowl of icing, scoop about 1/2 of it into a piping bag and then thin the remaining icing in that bowl to create a thinned version of the exact same color. To thin icing add 1 teaspoon of water at a time and stir, continue adding water by 1/2 teaspoons until desired consistency is reached.

"Thick icing", this is the consistency before adding extra water, and should be about the consistency of toothpaste. When I say "thinned icing", it should be icing that has been thinned to about the consistency of thick syrup (like corn syrup).

Once you have your icing colored, and in piping bags (and/or squeeze bottles) you're ready to get started.


I will be sure to update photos of the completed cookies! :)

3 comments:

  1. These sound yummy! My Mom's recipe is similar, but we add in 1/4 a cup of unsweetened apple sauce - keeps them soft for well over a week. I have to avoid my Wilton's addiction, because I swear I gained 15 pounds while taking cake decorating classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! These keep really soft, I had some left over into January and they were still great! Ive wanted to take cake decorating classes but it would probably reap the same results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go pull my Mom's recipe out and she uses more powdered sugar and less flour. I am going to have to give your recipe a try! I always want to make my Mom's, but never seem to have the applesauce on hand.

    I did the Wilton's 1-3 and was kind of annoyed with how easy 1-2 were. Your already down with the Royal Icing, you could master fondant and icing decorating on your own in no time!

    ReplyDelete